Highways Business Manager
We are seeking a highly motivated individual who will play a key role in managing the day to day highway maintenance and traffic business within our long-term property and highways outsourcing partnership.
We are based in Swinton, within the Salford district of Greater Manchester employing approximately 350 staff in a wide range of integrated professional support services solutions. Capabilities include a full range of property surveying and management disciplines, full design and cost control services, extensive highways and civil engineering design capability plus Town Planning, Development Control and Policy Services.
Role & Responsibilities
The purpose of this role is to lead the highway service as an Associate Director/ Business Manager in support of both the Partnership and Operations Directors. The business unit sits alongside and is required to work closely with other service streams, within a national and local business context and will be set appropriate financial targets.
Operational Management of the Business, including Staff and Clients:
- Undertake business management of the local highway service and translate this into an annual business plan; plan to align to the Regional and Divisional business and overall ambition for sustainable growth.
- Set clear and achievable targets for the business unit establishing how everyone fits into these.
- Monitor team performance against the objectives set providing the team with regular updates on how they are performing against targets. Where necessary, take decisive corrective action in accordance with procedures; report problems, solutions and progress through the appropriate governance arrangements.
- Recruit and integrate the right people into the business. Manage, develop, coach and motivate employees to achieve high levels of performance; provide regular feedback.
- Agree a financial Business Plan for the year with the Operations Director that aligns with the vision for the profit center and the Operations Director and Partnership Director local/regional business.
- Forecast and manage the P and L with revenue targets aligned with the cost base to ensure that appropriate margins are returned.
- Take early action to identify, report and mitigate matters which present a risk to the achievement of financial objectives and business needs.
Commercial and Risk Management
- Sign off bids/tenders to ensure scopes are clearly defined and profit margins are adequate to align with agreed profit centers targets.
- Engage with the commercial and legal teams on all legal/commercial matters to ensure the appropriate judgement is made when agreeing commercial terms so that risk is balanced with reward.
- Undertake (or arrange for) project health checks; peer reviews and project reviews to reduce/eliminate the commercial risks on project/service delivery.
Business Development/Work Winning
- Understand the market conditions and plan/structure growth in response to those conditions.
- Strengthen existing client relationships by taking an interest in solving their own drivers and demands and tailoring solutions to meet these.
- Questions the client around their own processes, in order that they may find ways to improve the business service.
- Takes responsibility for client conflicts and objections. Seeks to resolve these through the creation of win-win solutions.
As the successful highways business manager you are likely to have
- A successful history of managing a highways, drainage and traffic business in a local authority environment, ideally having worked for a private-sector outsourcing organization (both blue and white-collar teams).
- Management and setting of client highway service budgets for a local authority client.
- Take ownership of financial and business performance through the Management of Business process.
- Have experience of leadership and direct line management responsibilities including performance management, resource planning, supporting training and development of staff and improving staff welfare.
- Establish and maintain excellent working relationships with Clients at a senior level and deliver quality services to maximize opportunities for repeat business.
Rewards & Benefits
In return we will give you an opportunity to earn up to £60,000 along with a competitive company package including 23 days holiday, company pension scheme and access to voluntary benefit options including; child care vouchers, share save scheme, life assurance, holiday buy and many more designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional but fun environment.
How to apply
Apply now by sending your CV to Richard De-la-haye at R.email@example.com