UKSA is leading the definition and development of the UK GNSS; an EU Exit contingency option in relation to our current participation in the EU Galileo Programme.
As Commercial Director for the UK GNSS programme you will be accountable to the Senior Responsible Owner for the oversight of the programme's Commercial strategy and implementing the commercial and procurement plan.
You will lead the commercial relationships with Tier 1 suppliers and be responsible for building a robust relationship capable of delivering best for programme solutions across suppliers and their supply chains. You will need to build the UK GNSS programme commercial capability so as the programme matures it can manage the ongoing contractual relationships and performance of our Tier 1 suppliers and their supply chains.
The post will support the development of the long-term procurement strategy drawing together expertise from across Government. In this role the post holder will be expected to brief and advise Ministers, Permanent Secretaries, programme board member on matters arising and progress of contracted deliveries.
Leadership and oversight of the Commercial Strategy and commercial team in the Engineering, Design and Development Phase (EDDP) of the UK-GNSS Programme. This includes approval of all RFPs, 1st Line Commercial Assurance, contracts placed during this period and oversight of contract management.
Leadership of commercial propriety and standards across functional teams to ensure the Programme critical components are contracted to meet schedule need and forecast spend.
- Leadership and oversight of commercial strategies for current phase (Engineering Development and Design Phase- EDDP) and support the long-term commercial strategy for implementation of the full GNSS capability by:
- Using commercial knowledge and experience of the relevant industry sector and wider sector and industry policy to inform the above commercial strategies.
- Producing the Commercial Case for the Full Business Case in accordance to Treasury's Green Book guidance
- Understanding the commercial requirements of existing stakeholders to ensure the procurement strategy meets their needs
- Leading and managing commercial relationships with Board level members of the Tier 1 suppliers, including the negotiation of variations to contractual obligations, ensuring outcomes are consistent with affordability constraints, represent value for money and are in the taxpayers and GNSS stakeholder interests.
- Work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team to ensure that new contracts are let in accordance with the agreed ITT and affordability envelope and are mobilised on time and on budget.
- Review and maintain a supplier engagement policy for EDDP covering; bidders in the tender phase, suppliers in the contract delivery phase, but also other companies either invited for discussion, or speculatively enquiring for business.
- Understand the requirements of existing customers to ensure their needs are being met and that the contracts deliver the agreed outcomes.
- Implement a Contract Change Process in collaboration with the programme manager including the introduction of a Change Control Board (CCB).
- Review and maintain the Commercial Blueprint for EDDP including size and shape of the required commercial team, ToRs, skillset required, training, policies to be adopted etc. Provide an implementation plan for the Blueprint (including resourcing).
- Collaborate with and coordinate diverse teams (project managers, procurement specialist, technical specialist, commercial lawyers, etc)
- Monitor performance of commercial activities using key metrics and prepare reports for senior management within appropriate open-book contract management principles
- Minimising risk to the taxpayers and minimising contractual claims against the Government.
- Work collaboratively with finance colleagues to provide robust cash flow forecasts and end of year risk adjusted outturn cost estimates.
- Assist in setting financial targets and budget development and monitoring
Skills, Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications:
$2022; Extensive experience required as Senior Commercial manager or other relevant role
$2022; Proven experience in managing supplier relationships
$2022; In-depth understanding of market research methods and analysis
$2022; Solid knowledge of performance reporting and financial/budgeting processes
$2022; Commercial awareness partnered with a strategic mindset
$2022; Excellent organizational and leadership skills
$2022; Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
UK wide travel may be required from time to time. Attendance at meetings in London will be required.
Security Clearance Required
Role requires security clearance at DV although the post holder can start at SC level and should be willing to gain DV clearance.