Lead Systems Engineer - Berkshire
We expect the role holder to be an up-to-date, hands-on practitioner in several of the following areas:-
- Full engineering life-cycle and Systems Engineering (IVV&T) practices from requirements/user story capture and decomposition through to integration, acceptance and customer sign off and associated toolsets
- Experience of producing high/low level designs
- Proven track record of driving standards and best practice
- Software methodologies including Waterfall/V model, Agile, Lean
- Experience in aspects of test engineering such as Continuous Integration Testing, Test Driven Development, Unit and System level testing, performance, soak and smoke testing.
- Ratifying requirements against acceptance criteria
- In depth knowledge of the Windows, Linux or Unix operating systems.
- Linux scripting with Bash (or similar) and preferably at least one other programming language.
- Unix/Linux/Windows system administration
- Big Data systems experience (e.g. ElasticSearch, Hadoop)
- Experience of integration to ensure multiple components of a software project knit together at a system level in a seamless manner.
- Comprehensive knowledge in Operating System security and associated network/platform design, hardening and deployment, including firewalls and IDS/IPS etc.
- Kickstart of linux based components and in-life management using puppet/ansible.
- Patching methodologies and testing.
- Development and deployment of monitoring systems for both in-development and live components (Nagios/SolarWinds/Check_MK) including configuration of agents and SNMP.
- Advanced deployment and configurations of VMware products including ESX, vCenter with VDS and NSX.
- Understanding of storage platforms and protocols, including SAMBA, NFS, FCoE and high availability enterprise grade storage platforms including Netapp & EMC.
- Design and debug of underlying networks and protocols including TCP/IP, firewall theory and packet analysis.
- Design and development of deployment guides.
- Issue management using tools such as Redmine or JIRA.
- Understanding of backup and restoration issues for 24x7 support, including development of documentation for 1st and 2nd line support teams.
- An appreciation for Service Management, Service Delivery, Transition to Operations (TTO) and ITIL.
- An awareness of delivering software projects to time, cost and quality.
- External recognition and certification e.g. CISSP, SANS GIAC, Security+, Network+, Linux+, MCSE, CCNA or SSCP