A Lethality Lead is required to support the CR2 LEP Delivery Team (DT) to provide Lethality subject matter expertise and assurance that the Contractor is meeting their contractual obligations and that the Authority is on track to submit a viable Main Gate Business Case.
The objectives of the Challenger 2 Life Extension Project (CR2 LEP) Assessment Phase 2 (AP2) are to:
- Address obsolescence within the scope of the CR2 LEP System Boundary to extend the Out of Service Date (OSD) from 2025 to 2040,
- Maintain current CR2 capability, including the use of Interfacing Programmes & Systems (IP&S),
- Enhance Lethality and Survivability in key areas,
- Facilitate future growth.
Skills and Knowledge
- As a minimum the Lethality Engineer shall:
- Hold Security Check (SC) clearance - Essential,
- Have knowledge of 120 mm Main Armament/Main Battle Tank integration - Essential,
- Have knowledge of 120 mm MBT Main Armament and Ammunition qualification - Essential,
- Be a UK National - Essential,
- Have knowledge Challenger 2 MBT - Desirable.
Activities to be undertaken
- Manage the Lethality aspects of the CR2 LEP to ensure that:
- A design suitable to meet URD & SRD is developed & evidenced,
- Provision is made for future ammunition.
- Support the Requirements Manager in maturing the Lethality requirements such that they can be traced from the URD, are achievable, measurable and testable.
- Liaise with Safety Manager and Contractor to ensure that the evidence is collated for the OSRP.
- Attend and support relevant contractor Lethality working groups.
- Liaise with Enhanced KE Team to ensure that all boundaries and interfaces are well understood, and any dependencies recorded and managed.
- Review all relevant contract deliverables and provide constructive feedback.
- Support the Chief Engineer in developing tender documents for the Demonstration & Manufacture Phase.
- Support the Chief Engineer in evaluating the bid response and during pre-contract negotiations.
- Support the Team Leader in preparing the Main Gate Business Case.