We are looking for an outstanding Dev Ops Engineer, who can make a positive impact, and want to contribute to the most demanding and exciting new digital service for the UK Government. Let’s be clear about the impact of your work - better digital services in government will change the face of public services and have the potential to dramatically transform the future of millions of people.
We are looking for outstanding skills and must be ready to quickly get to work within an agile multi-disciplinary team of Developers, Designers, and Analysts focused on the Department for Work and Pensions’ flagship welfare reform programme.
We are looking for the kind of person who is unconcerned with titles and hierarchy; what really excites the successful candidate is problem-solving and the opportunity to deliver innovative technology that carries real value for users. The candidate will be expected to draw value from collaboration with others, actively seek input from colleagues and value a multidisciplinary team over hierarchy.
Day-to-day they will be using their experience and technical skills to support the team in designing, creating and improving new and existing products, platforms and transactions across government.
• Dev Ops & Prod Ops best practises commensurate with the build, maintenance and management of high volume transactional web sites and webs services.
• Application deployment strategies and continuous integration across multiple environments and releases using a micro-service architecture.
• Building and configuring new server platforms and the automated tooling to optimise this process.
• Configuration management tools like Puppet, Chef.
• Operational management of Linux servers, delivering a complex web application stack with strong expertise in virtualisation.
• Testing, debugging and troubleshooting of platform level problems.
• Administration and build of RDBMS and NoSQL database technologies (e.g MongodB, MySQL).
• Networking concepts, technologies, and protocols (TCP/IP, IPSec, HTTP, SSL, FTP, DHCP, and DNS).
• Installation, configuration and management of open source monitoring tools.
• Deploying and configuring virtual machines in a hosted environment.
3rd Line technical support to Production Operations
• Ideally the candidate will have been the lead Dev Ops, working on a major project or programme with experience in defining Dev Ops architectures, target operating models and providing thought leadership to other Dev Ops team members.
• You will have significant demonstrable experience of configuring web, application and database infrastructure in a fast moving development environment.
• Previous experience in building and supporting high volume, public, transactional production platforms and sophisticated automated Dev Ops environments is essential.
• A strong technical foundation in build, release and environment management.
• Passion for and ability to design and support robust build, deployment and configuration management systems for multi-tier Java applications.
• Good experience with continuous integration tools (Jenkins, Travis-CI, Go).
• Scripting and object oriented programming skills.
• Experience with automated testing tools relevant to infrastructure integrity.
• Experience in configuring and managing Linux servers for serving a dynamic website.
• Experience in debugging a complex multi-server service based on a micro-service architecture.
Operational management of Linux servers, delivering a complex web application stack. Building and configuring new server platforms and the automated tooling to do so. Testing, debugging and troubleshooting of platform level problems. Supporting development teams with configuring applications for deployment. Have demonstrable experience configuring web and application servers and possess a fundamental understanding of Linux. Have a strong technical foundation in build, release and environments. Have advanced Programming skills. Building and supporting a large production platform.
Security Clearance: BPSS
CV Deadline: Friday
IR35: out of scope