Provide hands-on technical leadership, in the development, operation and ongoing improvement of complex, transformational digital services serving millions of users. Work with product managers to understand user needs for new and existing services. Act as the technical authority in prospective, information gathering and scene setting meetings, evaluate technical proposals from external suppliers, and make implementation recommendations to senior stakeholders. Identify key API requirements for integration with internal and external systems. Lead development of user-driven prototypes to identify technical options and inform architectural approaches, working with colleagues and supplier team members to write tests, code and documentation for new and existing systems. Ensure system architectures are robust, scalable, open and secure, with appropriate overall system design and integration points/APIs, to deliver a high quality user experience.
Governance - Capable of evolving and defining governance and taking responsibility for collaborating and supporting in wider governance. Knows how to assure services delivered by technical architects across sets of services
- Turning business problems into technical design - Designs systems characterised by medium levels of risk, impact and business or technical complexity. Works across multiple services or a single large or complicated service
- Strategy - Capable of applying strategy, using patterns, standards, policies, roadmaps and vision statements. Able to challenge them and provide guidance
- Bridging the gap between technical and non-technical - Able to listen to the needs of the technical and business stakeholders and interpret between them. Capable of proactive and reactive communication.
- Making and guiding decisions - Able to make decisions characterised by managed levels of risk and complexity and recommend decisions as risk and complexity increase. Capable of resolving technical disputes between wider peers and indirect stakeholders, taking into account all views and opinions
- Understanding the whole context - Able to understand trends and practices outside their team and how these will impact their work. Able to understand how their work fits into the broader strategy and historical context. Capable of considering the patterns and interactions on a larger scale.
- A solid background in version control with Git, and experience of automated testing techniques, continuous integration, automated deployment pipelines and associated infrastructure.
- Experience of introducing practices such as TDD, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and DevOps to teams
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure
- Practical knowledge at many levels of the web stack, from front-end code down to infrastructure and networking
- A working knowledge of unix-like operating systems such as Linux and Mac OS
Security Clearance: BPSS/ DBS
CV Deadline: 12/08/19 @11:00